Catherine Woolfitt MA Classics MA Art Conservation MIfA
Accredited Member, Institute for Archaeologists (IfA)
Member, Institute of Conservation (Former UKIC - United Kingdom Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works)
From August 2008, Director of Catherine Woolfitt Associates, providing technical consultancy and advice in the conservation of the built heritage, from recording, survey and planning to specification and execution of conservation and repair work to historic buildings, ancient monuments and sculpture.
1999 to August 2008, Director of Ingram Consultancy Limited, providing technical advice in the survey, conservation and investigation of historic buildings and archaeological sites including:
- Buildings Archaeology, research, condition survey, recording, investigation and analysis.
- Planning in the historic environment, historic building assessment, conservation planning and environmental impact assessments
- Conservation of scheduled ancient monuments: condition surveys, specification for remedial work, site supervision, materials analysis.
- Conservation of historic buildings: survey, recording, investigation and analysis, repair and conservation, specification for remedial work, site trials and exemplars
- Guest Lecturer, Building Conservation Masterclasses at West Dean College, Courses: ‘Mortars, Plasters and Renders in Conservation’, ‘Conservation and Repair of Masonry’, ‘Cleaning Masonry Buildings’
Major Projects included:
- St Pancras Station - building recording and heritage advisor role in redevelopment of the Barlow Train Shed
- Guildford Castle - archaeological recording, cleaning and repair of the Norman Great Tower
- King's Cross Station - building recording, analysis and sourcing of repair materials
- Aldershot Garrison - research, survey, gazetteer of historic buildings
- Colchester Garrison - research, survey and assessment of historic buildings
- Severalls Asylum Hospital, Colchester - survey and building assessment, site gazetteer
- Northern Palace, Masada, Israel - condition surveyand design of remedial work
1996 – 1999, Consultant at Resurgam Conservation Consultancy, consultancy specialising in the conservation of the built heritage based at Hutton + Rostron, near Guildford, Surrey
1994-1996, Consultant, Historic Building and Site Services, Bournemouth University
Assisted in setting up this university based consultancy. Provided training in basic laboratory investigation of building materials at the English Heritage Training Centre at Fort Brockhurst.
March - May 1993, Architectural Conservation Course, ICCROM, Rome (International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property in Rome)
Laboratory assistant in the materials science section of the course, covering stone, mortars, plasters, and architectural ceramics
MA in Art Conservation, Specialisation in Artefacts, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
MA in Classics, Queen’s University, Kingston, Canada
BA in Classics/History, minor in French (with Distinction), Mount Allison University, New Brunswick, Canada
French (spoken and reading proficiency)
Italian, Latin and ancient Greek (reading knowledge)
German (limited reading knowledge)